Thursday 19 January 2012

ups and downs.

So I'm a bit stuck.

I don't like my story.

Well, I do. I really do.

The thing is I have three WIPs technically. And all three of them are at the editing stage.

I have plenty of new ideas in the works, but I really want to, as I said before, commit to finishing and editing and polishing things.

These three different things are at different stages. One of them I typed up over the summer, and finished off but wrote the year before (I have a feeling I'm repeating myself here, but bear with me.. I'm sorry. Trying to get my head back into things...). Another I wrote during the summer, and am now seriously trying to edit. The other is my NaNo novel. That one I'm still happy with. I still like that story, and I'm at very early editing stages so I haven't had time to become dissatisfied with it.

It's the middle one, the other one that is causing me trouble at the moment. I love the story. I love the idea. I love it. But reading it and trying to critically make it better, because of course I want it to be the best that it can be, is difficult. I'm starting to not like it, and think that the whole thing is ridiculous. A crisis of faith in it I suppose. I guess that writing is full of ups and downs; there are always going to be times when you don't like what you've written: I've experienced that before. It's just frustrating. It's just hard to know what to do. For now I'm working on my NaNo novel, and hoping a break will do me good in regards to the other one. Maybe I'll start liking it again. I suppose sometime soon I'll have to find some poor willing person to read stuff. That might reassure me (or not) or at least tell me where I'm going wrong/what to do.

But for now, I have to go and try and write a really awkward email to my tutor. Although I might just rock up tomorrow and hope she's around. But I really need to see her, so if she doesn't happen to be there, I'll be stuck till Monday.. dilemmas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi.
    Fellow campaigner here.
    I just wanted to say, after reading this post that we both have the same problem. My goal for this year is to have one or two polished novels instead of 4 drafts that are going nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Great to meet you!
      It's great to meet someone going through the same problems! That's definitely a good goal; I'm defintiely aiming to get things polished this year.
      Am going to go and look at your blog now too! :) xx

      Delete