Sunday 24 March 2013

Revisiting Fowey (Again)

Arriving in Fowey feels like coming home. I went back with my aunt last week, just for a night and a short break and it was wonderful.

It's always reassuring to see that everything is still the same, and it is all so familiar it is wonderful to be there again. I find that it is such an inspiring place and I alwys come away again feeling revived, and that I want to go straight back. I never want to leave. I want to live somewhere like that and just write books all the time (*dreaming*). That would be magical. Sigh. Maybe one day.

We were lucky enough to enjoy sunshine on the Wednesday and were able to run around on the beach playing catch and wander through the town, seeing all the familiar sights.


We visited Bookends and the lovely Ann and David and I got a copy of 'Daphne du Maurier and her sisters' by Jane Dunn, which is fascinating to read and I'm really enjoying it. Great to read something new on du Maurier!

We were staying in The Fowey hotel, which is a wonderful hotel, that doesn't seem to have changed much over the years! Was great to be reading the Jane Dunn book there and come across a mention from Angela du Maurier about staying at the hotel! Fantastic.

The next day was raining, so relieved we had had the sunshine of the day before, we holed up in Pinky Murphy's for a lot of the day and wrote weird poems and drank strawberry smoothies.

As always, I was very sad to have to leave Fowey, but am hoping to go back very soon. Really want to go to the Literary festival - it used to be the du Maurier festival, but it is now the Fowey Festival of Music and Words. REALLY want to go. It's finding somewhere to stay though. Maybe I can persuade some friends to go too... *hint*

Here's some more pictures from the stay:







Now, there's only a few days left of term and I will be home in under a week. It's gone alarmingly quickly! Scary really.

And I'm impatiently waiting for my copy of Requiem by Lauren Oliver to turn up.... hmph.

No comments:

Post a Comment