Sunday 29 June 2014

Writing, Dissertation, and YALC!

It's been a while since I've updated anything writing wise on this blog. I had a couple of exciting things happen quite recently though (I hate writing about this, so I apologise. It's just kinda exciting).

The first was that one of my short stories, a YA story called 'If I Remember' was a runner up in a competition. I was delighted about that - especially as it was a YA story, and I want to go back and do more work on that sometime.

The next was that I have been shortlisted for another IdeasTap competition, this time one that is in association with the Norwich Writer's Centre. Being shortlisted means that I get to attend an exciting day long writing workshop in July. More here.

Otherwise, things are plodding on as usual.

I'm still writing for MuggleNet, something that I absolutely adore and it's so much fun. One of the best things that has happened to me -  in fact I can't believe that I've only been writing for them since last November. It feels like much longer than that. It's the best team to work for, and everyone's so lovely and of course getting to write about Harry Potter... it's a no brainer! Actually, internships are currently open if you're interested in writing for the site. Check them out here.

I just finished the first draft of a story I started back in April. I was delighted to finish, although I dragged out writing the last few chapters. I don't think that I was looking forward to actually leaving the world yet. But there's still lots of work to do - I wrote it by hand, so I've got to type it up (sort of a first edit really, and a great way to see where there are plot holes etc. I really like working that way. And you feel like you get to know the story again, in a different way).

I'm also still working on Treading Water, more edits, trying to get it as good as possible! This summer I'll mostly be working on my dissertation however, which is due in at the end of August. I'm nearly at the end of my course though, hurrah!

In other book-y news, there are so many AWESOME books out this summer that I can't wait to read. I think my most anticipated book is Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins, although I was super excited about The Silkworm coming out. Anything J.K. writes is golden.

And in a couple of weeks, it's YALC - the first YA con in the UK. I can't wait! It's going to be fantastic, with so many amazing authors there, as well as lots of lovely friends. I can't wait! Who's going? Maybe I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment