Wednesday 12 November 2014

We will remember them

This week I have been in London again (and I'm actually going to be there again this weekend!). It's always a bit of a culture shock, especially after a few hermity days!

But I had a lovely day, hanging out with fellow writers, bloggers, and booky people, Emma and Cole. I'm already looking forward to the next trip - and hopefully Laura will be able to join us this time. I may have bought a few books in Foyles (ooops), and we drank lots of coffee and hot chocolate - perfect!

I have been busy writing, and creating - doing lots of crafty things at the moment, and I share them with you shortly (when I have time to write up a post!).

Otherwise, this week has been dominated, and rightly so, by remembrance. There has been the moving art installation at the tower of London, which I didn't get to see, but just from the pictures, I could tell it was breathtaking.

I know there are mixed views on all this, but it is important to remember. I don't want to go into it all or get political etc, but as someone who has friends/accquiantances in the armed forces, I think that it is important to not only remember those who gave their lives fighting in the past, but those who are serving now, which is what remembrance does. It is important, and I am glad that our country recognises it in the way that it does. I am currently getting my grandad's Second World War poems ready to hopefully publish them, and it is so moving to read through them, and try and imagine that boy of nineteen. So many young men, so many lives lost.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

2 comments:

  1. Remembrance is so important. It is our history and it cannot be ignored or forgotten.

    How amazing that your grandfather wrote poetry. Best of luck finding a publisher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is so important! I totally agree.

      It's incredible, I couldn't believe it. It really is amazing poetry. Thank you! I think we're considering self publishing it and just selling it locally.

      Delete